Recent advances in assisted reproductive technologies have given women more options and choices for building families than ever before. Increasingly popular options for women are oocyte cryopreservation (egg freezing) and embryo cryopreservation (embryo freezing) for future use, giving them flexibility in family planning. CWRC is pleased to offer the most advanced procedures available from our experienced and exemplary faculty of Columbia University Medical Center. Our physicians are happy to discuss your individual needs and the comparative advantages of these treatment options with you.
- a diagnosis of cancer—many women choose to freeze eggs prior to cancer therapy
- premature ovarian failure
- rapidly declining ovarian function
- delaying child-bearing for personal and situational reasons
- taking advantage of optimal egg viability for future conception
Egg freezing is a treatment option very similar to a typical IVF cycle. The process lasts approximately 2 weeks and entails giving yourself daily hormone injections to stimulate the ovaries and coming to our Center for monitoring the growth of the egg follicles (using blood work and ultrasounds). The eggs are then retrieved while the patient is under deep sedation and the eggs are then frozen. When a patient elects to use the eggs in the future, they will be thawed and combined with sperm from a male partner or a sperm donor.
Note there is help when it comes to paying for embryo and egg freezing, as well as the medications required:
- A discounted rate and free medications for treatment may be available through CWRC’s partnership with Fertile Hope
- Free medications are also provided by the Walgreens Heart Beat program for qualified patients.
- CWRC is proud to offer alternative options for those who may not qualify for the programs above. Please call to speak with one of our Fertility Preservation Coordinators to learn more about these options.
To get started, please call (646) 756-8294 and speak to one of our Fertility Preservation Coordinators. They will help you coordinate your care, schedule an appointment, answer any questions or concerns you may have and link you to the many resources available. Our goal is to make an appointment for you within three business days.